History of the Hall

This is a very potted history of the Hall.

Please contact  chairstarvanshall@gmail.com or ring 07496 674937  if you have any more information to add.

These notes are taken from the excellent book by Joyce Edmonds called 'Tales of the People of Old St. Arvans' and published in 1990.

Readers are told that the hall was built as a War Memorial for those who died in the 1914-18 conflict. It comprised just the front hall and was opened in 1924. Mrs. Hastings Clay gave the land and the stone with which it was built. The same stone was used for Wyndcliffe Court.


With the opening of the hall a Trust was set up with the primary purpose of providing village hall premises for the recreation, social welfare and benefit of St Arvans residents. The organisation is registered as a charity.

Mrs. Moody of 3, the Row was the first caretaker and apparently she became well known for her strict regime of cleanliness and efficency!

In the early days there was a grass tennis court where the rear hall now stands and a billiard room. It was during the second world war that the tennis court fell into disrepair as there were few young people to use it. Although an attempt was made to raise money for a hard court after the war, it was not successful.The billiard room went when the rear hall was built.

Electricity was installed in the mid 1930's when it came to the village. The funding for the installation was met by the estate of Mr. Ted Smith.
Management of the Hall is the responsibility of a Committee. Connie Dixon, who did so much for St. Arvans community during her lifetime, was responsible for leaving us these notes about the Hall in Joyce's book. She states that the Committee's job is 'to keep it in good order and out of debt'!

Today's Committee works to the same job description but with the addition that it does everything possible to maintain a building that serves the local community well, facilitates social interaction and welcomes visitors to this beautiful part of Wales.